As the annual May Impressionist and Contemporary auctions in New York come to a record-breaking close, I wanted to highlight a genre that has interested me recently — Fiber Art. There is something about the vivid colors and textures that I keep coming back to. I am amazed at how these artists can transform simple threads into voluminous sculptural pieces. Check out some of these finds you can grab for under a $179.4 million!
1. Gabriel Dawe torres de satélite + site specific installation at centraltrak + gütermann thread, painted wood and hooks + 7′ x 14″ x 16′ + 2011
2. Elizabeth McTague Macrame wall hanging 24 inches wide and 28 inches long
3. Karen Margolis Yin-yang, 2015 14×11”, Watercolor, gouache, map fragments, thread on Abaca
4. Jose Romussi Embroidered vintage black & white photograph
5. Jennifer Reifsneider Landfall (Inverted Mercator) 2012, thread 113″ x 80″ x 10″